Mercy Cardiothoracic Surgical Associates
There are numerous surgical and non-surgical treatment options for cardiothoracic-related conditions and diseases. Your primary care doctor and specialists will collaborate to determine the most appropriate treatments and therapies for your coronary or pulmonary condition given a host of factors including your age, family history, results of diagnostic tests, and associated conditions.
Surgery may not be the best, or first, approach for all patients who have heart or lung problems. Fortunately, there are a number of non-surgical options, which can be highly safe and effective.
- Lifestyle Changes
Often doctors prescribe lifestyle changes for patients with coronary disease or other cardiothoracic-related conditions. Depending on the progression of your condition and other medical factors your physicians may recommend changes such as weight loss, smoking cessation, glucose control (for diabetic patients), and an exercise plan. Mercy offers numerous health-related lifestyle support services including the Mercy Weight Management Center, an Outpatient Diabetes Education Program, Nutrition Services, and Smoking Cessation classes.
- Medication and Drug Therapy
Your physicians may recommend over-the-counter drugs such as aspirin or prescription drugs such as Plavix or anticoagulants (to thin blood or to prevent clot formation), or drugs to lower blood pressure or cholesterol. Drug therapies can help treat the symptoms of many conditions, and perhaps slow the progression in some cases, but they can have limitations.
- Catheterization Procedures
Catheterization is a minimally-invasive procedure whereby a doctor accesses the circulation through an artery in the arm or leg for diagnosis and treatment. The doctor can clear any blockage or insert a stent in a blocked artery to restore blood flow. Catheterization procedures include:
In addition, pacemakers or ICDs can be placed through veins.
- angioplasty (balloon dialation)
- peripheral vascular intervention
- stent implantation
If non-surgical options are not effective to treat a patient’s cardiothoracic condition there are several potential surgical options. Mercy Cardiothoracic Surgical Associates have extensive expertise performing several surgical specialties including:
Valvular Heart Disease
Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)/Coronary Atherosclerosis
- Complex valve repair and replacement , minimally invasive or with robotic assist
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass using arterial conduits
- Hybrid coronary revascularization
- Totally endoscopic minimally invasive coronary bypass surgery (TECAB)
- Transmyocardial laser revascularization (TMR)
Thoracic Aortic Disease (TAD)
- MAZE procedure for atrial fibrillation
- Left ventricular lead placements, minimally invasive or with robotic assist
Minimally Invasive and Robotic Lung Cancer Surgery
- Aortic Dissection Repair
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm resection
- Thoracic aortic stent grafting
- Esophageal cancer surgery
- Surgery for lung cancer (multimodality approach)
- Video-assisted lung resection
- Robotically-assisted lung resection with node dissection