Mercy Children's Hospital
Kohl's Kids in Action
Healthy eating guidelines are based on the age of your child. Offer a variety of colorful foods everyday.
- Include low-fat milk or dairy products.
- Choose lean meats, poultry, fish, lentils and beans for protein.
- Provide plenty of vegetables, fresh fruits and whole grain products.
- Limit 100% juice to 6 ounces a day if your child is 6 years of age or younger, and for older children less than 12 ounces a day.
- Limit access to sugar-added fruit drinks and soda, as these tend to replace milk in children's diets.
- Eat meals as a family when possible. Parents should model good eating habits. Turn off the TV, computer and video games during meals and snacks.
|Low fat Dairy||2cups||2-3 cups||3-4 cups|
|Fruit||1 cup||1-1.5 cups||1.5 cups|
|Vegetables||1 cup||1-1.5 cups||2-2.5 cups|
|Meat||2 oz||3-4 oz||5 oz|
|Grains||3 oz||4-5 oz||5-6 oz|