For something delicious, try turkey, pork or lamb in your next burger.
1 pound ground turkey, pork, or lamb
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
4 hamburger buns, toasted if you want
4 tomato slices
4 thin red onion slices
4 lettuce leaves
ketchup and mustard
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- With the help of your adult, put the raw meant on the cutting board and divide 4 balls of equal size.
- Gently press down each ball to form a patty about 3/4-1 inch thick.
- Using your thumb, make a half-inch dent about the size of a quarter in the middle of each side. (Handle the patties as little as possible, and wash hands after touching raw meat.)
- Sprinkle both sides of the patties with salt ( and pepper if you like).
- With the help of your adult, put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high. Wait two minutes for the pan to heat up, and then add the patties to the dry pan.
- Cook until crusty brown on the outside, about 5 minutes, and then, with the help of your adult, slip the patties and cook until crusty brown on the other side-and heated throughout-another 5 minutes.
- Put the bottom half of each roll on a bit plate, and top each with a burger. Top each burger with a tomato slice, onion slice and a lettuce leaf. Add ketchup, mustard and mustard. Then cover with the tops of the rolls.
For more great recipes visit Chop-Chop Magazine at: http://www.chopchopmag.org/