General tips to help with swallowing problems:
- Sit up as straight as possible when you eat
- Take small bites, less than 1 teaspoon of food per bite. Chew well and swallow your food before taking another bite
- If one side of your face or mouth is weaker, chew food on the stronger side of your mouth
- Do not mix solid foods with liquids in the same bite
- Keep mealtime relaxed
- Do not try to wash down solids with sips of liquids, unless your therapist told you to eat this way
- Sit upright for 30 to 45 minutes after eating
- You may need someone to remind you to finish swallowing
Do not drink thin liquids without checking with your doctor or therapist first. Ask caregivers and family members not to talk to you when your are eating or drinking..
|Drug Notes Home|
Health Information Home
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2010 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.