Who Does Your Heart Belong To?
Take care of your heart. It belongs to the people you love and to the people who depend on you. So when your heart needs expert care, you can depend on Mercy and the area's preferred cardiac specialists to be there. For you. For them.
Reasons why you should trust Mercy:
Reason #1:Mercy St. Vincent is the only local heart team that operates on beating hearts four times more often than hospitals nationwide.
Beating heart surgery also referred to as "off pump" means the patient is not on a heart-lung machine, but rather the heart continues to beat normally, on its own without mechanical assistance, while the surgeon operates on a localized, stable area of the heart to bypass blockage. For those patients who qualify for a beating heart procedure, if offers remarkable benefits, among them the following.
- Less time in surgery
- Faster return to normal activities
- Reduced need for blood transfusions
- Reduction in the amount and duration of anesthesia required for surgery
- Reduced potential for physomotor and cognitive problems
- Reduced risk of bleeding, stroke and kidney failure
- Decrease in the incidence of stroke during surgery
- Elimination of potential complications related to the cardiac bypass heart-lung machine
Mercy Cardiothoracic Surgical Associates perform over 80% of Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts using the beating heart method as compared to the national average of just under 20%.
Reason #2:Mercy's heart team routinely introduces new non-surgical cardiac solutions and uses innovative techniques to repair damaged blood vessels.
Utilizing cutting-edge non-invasive equipment our cardiology staff is able to rapidly diagnose and treat heart and blood vessel blockages with cardiac catheterization techniques including angioplasty, atherectomy, and stent implantation. Under the direction of Ameer Kabour, M.D., Chief of Cardiology
for Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center, we have are always researching and pioneering new ways to repair the heart. In fact, Mercy Heart & Vascular Center is one of the 20 centers in the nation to receive the new "absorbable stent." This stent provides the patient all the benefits of a conventional stent, but dissolves in approximately four weeks. Mercy has also been selected to receive the new percutaneous valve, which is inserted through the patient's groin and clipped to his or her existing valve without the use of surgery or robotics. Results of studies conducted at Mercy Heart & Vascular Center have been published in the Journal of American Cardiology
, New England Journal of Medicine
, and Endovascular
Reason #3:Mercy is the only local heart team that performs pediatric cardiology interventional procedures.
Mercy Children's Hospital offers a cardiac catheterization lab and diagnostic center dedicated to pediatric care.
Reason #4:Mercy St. Vincent is home to the region's only freestanding center dedicated to Heart and Vascular care.
Our modern, patient-centered Heart & Vascular Center located on the campus of Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center has been designed with your comfort in mind. The Center features:
- Well-appointed, spacious and private rooms with large windows
- Large family gathering areas with kitchen amenities
- Bedside check-in so patients are taken immediately to the comfort of their room
- A unique approached to patient care that brings equipment and services right to the patient's bedside even as his or her care needs change, as opposed to transferring the patient to another area.
Reason #5:Mercy St. Vincent has earned recognition for our Heart Center services:
- U.S. News and World Report awarded us with a “high performing” rating for our heart and heart surgery services
- The national healthcare consumer advocacy organization The Leapfrog Group gave Mercy St. Vincent a “better than average” clinical outcome rating for both heart bypass surgery and aortic valve replacement as compared to other hospitals in Ohio and nationwide.
- HealthGrades gave a “best” survival rating for heart failure patients
- Our cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, and heart and vascular center staff are able to get heart attack patients rapid, nationally recommended care as an accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI from Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC)
- Mercy is preferred 2 to 1 for cardiac services by consumers.*
Mercy provides medically supervised cardiac rehabilitation programs
tailored to meet the individual needs of their patients. Our patients are enrolled in our programs immediately, with little or no waiting – greatly improving their recovery times. Many of Mercy’s cardiac rehabilitation patients find our programs so beneficial to their long term health, that they chose to continue their exercise programs for 15 or more years.
Mercy provides easy and quick access to the Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center, no matter where you live. Our Life Flight/Mobile Life Critical Care Transport Network provides services to communities in Southwest, Northwest and Northeast Ohio and Southeast Michigan. CT Surgeons & specialists, including Dr. Gregory Vigesaa
have offices in outlying areas such as Willard, Tiffin and Defiance – making it more convenient for patients to receive their follow up care close to home.
Contact Mercy Healthlink at 1-888-987-6372
to learn more about why Mercy should be the Only One you turn to for cardiac care.*(AZG Research 2010 Hospital Comparative) Research 2010