Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Heart Healthy Recipes: Bavarian Beef
This stew is made with lean beef and cabbage.
1 ¼ pound lean beef stew meat, trimmed of fat, cut in
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 ½ cups water
¾ teaspoon caraway seeds
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
¼ cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
½ small head red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
¼ cup gingersnaps, crushed
- Brown meat in oil in heavy skillet. Remove meat and
sauté onion in remaining oil until golden.
- Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt,
pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1¼
- Add vinegar and sugar, and stir. Place cabbage on top of
meat. Cover and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove meat and cabbage, arrange on a platter and keep
- Strain drippings from skillet and trim off fat. Add
water to dripping to yield 1 cup of liquid.
- Return to skillet with crushed gingersnaps. Cook and
stir until thickened mixture boils. Pour over meat and vegetables and serve.
Makes 5 servings.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.