Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Apple Brown Betty, Apple Cheese Betty
Here’s a soft dessert made with bread and apples. It’s
nutritious, and if you’re dealing with mouth ulcers from chemo, the softness
Serves 4 people.
4 cups thinly sliced pared apples of 1 can (16 ounces) pie
2 cups bread cubes or torn bread pieces
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons margarine
¼ cup hot water
- Grease a 1-quart baking dish.
- Arrange half of the apples on the bottom of the dish.
Follow with half of the bread, then half of the sugar. Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top, cut margarine in pieces and
lay them on top. Finish by pouring hot water over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Calories: 291 per cup
Protein: 1 gram
To male Apple Cheese Betty, spoon one cup of ricotta cheese
over the first layer of apples, bread and sugar. Complete as above.
Calories: 342 per cup
Protein: 4 grams
Recipes and Tips
for Better Health During Cancer Treatment, U.S. Department of Health and Human