Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding With Apple Raisin Sauce
A great choice for the Memorial
Ingredients for bread pudding
10 slices whole wheat bread
3 egg whites
1 ½ cups skim milk
¼ cup white sugar
2 teaspoons white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon clove
Vegetable spray as needed
Ingredients for apple raisin
1 ¼ cup apple juice
½ cup apple butter
2 tablespoons molasses
½ cup raisins
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon orange zest (optional)
Directions for bread pudding
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray 8- by 8-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Lay slices of
bread in baking dish in two rows, overlapping like shingles.
3. In medium bowl, beat together egg whites, milk, the quarter cup of white
sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over vanilla.
4. In a small bowl, stir together cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and the 2 teaspoons
of white sugar.
5. Sprinkle spiced sugar mix over bread pudding. Bake pudding for 30 to 35
minutes, until it has browned on top and is firm to touch. Serve warm or at
room temperature with apple-raisin sauce.
Directions for apple-raisin
1. Stir all ingredients together
in medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Yield: 9 servings, serving size
one half cup
Total fat: 3 grams
Saturated fat: 1 gram
Cholesterol: 24 milligrams
Sodium: 252 milligrams
Total fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 46 grams
Potassium: 390 milligrams
National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, "Keep the Beat Heart Healthy Recipes."