Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Spaghetti with Turkey Meat Sauce
A nice alternative to higher-fat red meat sauce.
Non-stick cooking spray as needed
1 pound ground turkey
1 28-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound spaghetti, uncooked
1. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray coating. Pre-heat over high heat.
2. Add turkey. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
3. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
4. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover, simmer 15 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
6. Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Total fat: 5 grams
Saturated fat: 1 gram
Cholesterol: 60 milligrams
Sodium: 280 milligrams
Makes six servings. (Serving size equals 5 ounces of sauce and 9 ounces of spaghetti.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute