Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
3 medium yams
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon orange peel
1 teaspoon soft tub margarine
½ cup orange juice
1. Cut yams in half and boil until tender but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1.4 inch slices
2. Combine sugar, four, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and grated orange peel.
3. Place half of the sliced yams in a medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
4. Dot with half the amount of margarine
5. Add a second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the same order as above.
6. Add orange juice
Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 350 for 20 minutes
Serving size ¼ cup
Fat: less than 1 gram
Saturated fat: less than 1 gram
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 115 milligrams
Heart Healthy Cooking African-American Style; NHLBI, NIH and the Office of Research on Minority Health.