Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
This is a nice one-pot dish for company because you can make it in advance.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
¾ pound of skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into ¾ inch pieces
1 14-ounce can whole plum tomatoes in their juices
1 rib of celery, cut in ½ inch slices
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Pinch of ground cloves
1 cup of long-grain brown rice, cooked according to package directions
1. In a 3-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until pieces are white on all sides.
4. Add tomatoes with liquid, breaking up with a spoon.
5. Mix in celery, bell pepper, scallion and tomato paste.
6. Stir in bay leaf, thyme, pepper flakes and cloves.
7. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
8. Remove bay leaf. Stir rice into chicken mixture and heat through.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 235 calories, 4 grams of fat.
American Institute for Cancer Research.