Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Limas and Spinach
2 cups frozen lima beans
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup fennel, cut in strips
½ cup onion, chopped
¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups leaf spinach, washed thoroughly
1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon raw chives
1. Steam or boil lima beans in unsalted water approximately 10 minutes. Drain.
2. In a skillet, sauté onions and fennel in oil.
3. Add the beans and stock to the onions, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the spinach. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Cover and let stand for 30 seconds.
6. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Yield: 7 servings. Serving size: ½ cup.
Total fat: 2 grams
Saturated fat: less than 1 gram
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 84 milligrams
Healthy home Cooking African American Style, The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the Office of Research on Minority Health.