Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
High in Flavor, Low in Fat - Bean and Macaroni Soup
Makes 16 servings (serving size one cup).
2 16-ounce cans great northern beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
2 cups carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups cut-up peeled, fresh tomatoes or 1½ pounds canned chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bay leaf, crumbled
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle; add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Cook macaroni according to directions on package using unsalted water. Drain when cooked.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.
1 gram of fat
less than one gram of saturated fat
0 milligrams of cholesterol
154 milligrams of sodium (more if canned tomatoes are used.
The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, September 2003.