Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Low Salt Barbecue Chicken
The spices in this tasty barbecue sauce will keep you from wanting to add salt.
5 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon ketchup
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon molasses
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons white vinegar
¾ teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 ½ pounds skinless chicken
1. Combine all ingredients except chicken in a saucepan.
2. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Wash chicken and pat dry.
4. Place chicken on a large platter and brush it with ½ cup of the sauce.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for one hour.
6. Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
7. Turn oven down to 350 and add the remaining sauce to the chicken.
8. Cover the chicken with aluminum foil and continue baking for 30 more minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: ½ chicken breast or 2 small drumsticks
Fat: 4 grams
Saturated fat: less than 1 gram
Cholesterol: 81 milligrams
Sodium: 199 milligrams
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.