Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Parvine’s Baked Fruited Chicken
If you’re looking for a way to make chicken interesting, this recipe fits the
4 chicken breast halves with bones, skin removed
4 chicken thighs with bones, skin removed
16 dried apricot halves
8 dried pitted prunes
½ pound button mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 medium navel orange
2 large lemons
½ tablespoon crushed, dried thyme
salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim all visible fat from chicken pieces. Wash chicken and pat dry with
paper towels. Arrange in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Scatter apricots, prunes and mushrooms around the chicken. Cover with
- Thinly slice the orange and lemon. Do not peel them. Remove any seeds.
Arrange fruit slices on top of onions. Scatter thyme over all. Season with
salt (if using) and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes or
until juices next to the bone of the chicken run clear. (Cut one piece to
213 calories (26 % calories from fat); 22 grams protein; 6 grams total fat (1.2
grams saturated fat); 19 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 60
milligrams cholesterol; 64 milligrams sodium.
3 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 fruit), 1 vegetable.
Diabetic Lifestyle Magazine, April 1998.